Monday 25 March 2013

S is for Something Different

S is for Something Different.

A Book Review:
'Walking the Amazon: 860 Days, One Step at a Time'. By Ed Stafford.

My list of 'to read' books is pretty much never ending, so when it comes to picking out a new book to read, I have a long list from which I can choose, from a variety of genres. The last book I read was a gift, and I actually don't think I would have picked this book out myself, but I found it a great read from beginning to end.
Walking the Amazon is Stafford's story about his quest to walk from the source of the Amazon to its mouth, entirely by foot, recounting his trials and tribulations, and his more uplifting moments along the way.
Stafford isn't a literary scholar; he's an expedition leader, an adventurer, an army captain, an action man. His story is told in his words, with his style, and even though it may not be the work of a literary genius, his own words and his own style help me understand and connect with him more, and develop a better grasp of his own journey through the Amazon.
Stafford isn't an eco-warrior, a biologist, or a zoologist. His journey isn't solely about saving the rainforest, it is more about the journey to achieve a world first, while promoting an awareness of the issues which face the rainforest today. He doesn't spend paragraphs describing the flora and fauna of the rainforest, merely mentions just some of the many issues of the area. His book is about his story, his journey, and his recount of events during 860 days in the rainforest.
Ed shares his whole story. He describes the expedition preparation, financing, charity fundraising, finding expedition sponsors, the daily challenges he faced, all the way through to his flat-out exhaustion as he completed his mission. For me, this is what I enjoyed most about the book. He describes his sometimes harsh interaction with others, his own personal issues, his exhaustion, his financial worries, his search for food, and his ability to survive in some of the most testing conditions. And he pulls through. His determination to complete his mission runs through the whole book and his achievement is a reminder of what we can achieve if we put our minds to it. His journey reminds me how fortunate I am that I do not have to struggle each day to survive as some do, and that I have much more potential than I will probably ever know.

http://www.walkingtheamazon.com/
http://www.edstafford.org/





3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your review. I'm grateful, too - that my life is not such a struggle - and, you have reminded me - so, i start my day in Joy!
    Much Thanks!
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about the little things that bring happiness too. Hopping for the A-Z challenge today, see you around:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by to welcome you on board the A to Z Challenge April 2013.
    Look forward to your challenge posts...which begins 1st April!
    Please consider putting up the 2013 Challenge badge so it is easier to identify your participation.
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    Please replace Captcha with comment moderation to receive more comments.

    ReplyDelete