Saturday 4 May 2013

Y is for Yesterday

Yesterday

Yesterday was a tough day. I woke up and thought 'eugh'. I wanted to throw the covers right back over me and hibernate until something got better.
Something will get better, right? Surely at some point, it will all be better.
Here, I made a big mistake. I was hoping for everything, everything, to turn out just fine, when I know that that's not possible. No matter what, something could always be better. Something will always make me want to pull the covers back over my head, and say 'eugh' every day.
Another big mistake I made was failing to differentiate between the bits I can control, and the bits I can't control. Some things, like cold rainy days, traffic, or a headache I really can't do too much about; I just have to get on with the day and let it sort itself out. But some things I can at least try to control. I can try to look on the bright side of a bad situation, I can try to fix a problem, and I can try to put a smile on my face even when inside it just hurts. It's often not easy, but I can try.

Today, on the other hand, was a better day. Some things went well, I made some achievements, and it made me feel fifty times better about myself. My smile didn't have to be forced, it didn't hurt so much inside, and the rain didn't cause catastrophe in my day. I coped with the day's challenges, giving me a little bit more courage to face similar challenges again tomorrow.

When things get tough it's sometimes nearly impossible to see that things can get better. You are buried under so many difficulties that it all goes dark. But then, as you chip away, and hold on to the thought that up above there really is light, soon enough, the light will shine down on you.
And that's why I believe in hope.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have less eugh days and more - ease days :)

    ReplyDelete