Friday 31 May 2013

The Donut Saga

If I could have my choice of any sweet treat, a donut probably wouldn't make the top ten. Maybe not even the top twenty. I never crave donuts, and under normal circumstances, I rarely eat them. I can think of many other sweet treats which I would much prefer, and most of which have at least the tiniest amount of nutritional value even if they are still mostly sweetness and delight. However, since living in America, the donut has slowly and unconsciously started to invade my life.
America is the land of the donut, and the American workplace is where they are commonplace, sitting in the staff kitchen in their fancy little box waiting for the next unsuspecting employee to spot them, glistening in the light. The employee, feeling like s/he is a little stressed and needs little pick-me-up, gives in to temptation, and nabs one, thinking that if s/he is not seen, then it doesn't count, right? Or maybe it's got to the stage where being seen doesn't even matter any more; that glistening little delight is what is needed to make through the day.
It is torment. You know you shouldn't, but any willpower you thought may have existed has trickled away, leaving only a desperation for that sweet treat. Yes, I admit it. That is me. I caved in to the little glistening donut, and regretted each one. Before I had even picked up that sticky, frosted donut, I already knew that it wouldn't really satisfy me, but it would only satisfy my temptation. After consuming each donut, I can feel all that calorie dense and nutrient void sugary dough filling up my belly, and developing into a feeling of fat and ugly regret.
Of course, it was not long before I overcame my temptation, and realised that this isn't really what I want. This grotesque feeling after devouring each donut isn't what my mind or body needs. And what's more, they don't even satisfy me as a sweet treat. So, that's it. The donut is now officially not an option. Whenever temptation creeps in, it is shot back down by all the reasons not to nab that donut. And I feel good for resisting, and not bad, guilty, and grotesque after giving in to the cute little box with the glistening donuts just waiting to caress someone's lips.

So, the donuts are still just sitting there. waiting. Passers by pick one out, and start to chomp away. Each one asks 'Would you like a donut?' 'Did you take a donut?' 'Did you try a donut?' And I respond, 'No, no thank you.' However, the returning comment is always something like 'Oh, you can, you are thin'.
Each time I hear these words I really want to respond with a mini lecture how 'being thin' doesn't even come into the equation. What, exactly is thin, anyway? How do you define it? Maybe one person's thin is another person's skinny. Or one person's chubby is another person's thin. It is subjective, and really not the basis on which to decide whether I choose to cave in to the mighty donut.
But thin, however, is what many women really do aspire to be. Being thin is what drives them to the gym, what drives them to fad diet, and what drives them to deny themselves of every last sweet delight imaginable. Being able to look themselves in the mirror, and feel satisfied with their idealistic image of themselves as thin is the ultimate goal. A goal which is, unfortunately, more often than not, unachievable. Self satisfaction of a woman's own body is rarely achieved. Acceptance, however, is possible.

Our idealistic views of how we should look on the outside have led us to forget that our beauty comes from within us. It is born in our minds and in our core, and grows out, enriching our bodies, and radiating out of us, beaming its healthy glow into the world. Beauty is born from inner strength, balance and stability, and healthy nourishment in our minds and bodies. When we focus on building from within us, and when we focus on building a healthy mind and body, the result is beautiful. Our healthy minds and bodies are beautiful, and our roots that have grown from deep within us and are not just an external, skin deep and empty beauty.

Health is something very personal and unique to each and every one of us. It is when we strive to achieve our own health goals that our own, unique beauty is created. The donut plays no part in reaching this goal, as it is void of any of the nourishment our minds and bodies crave to build health. It fills us with emptiness, contributes nothing to building health and nourishment from within us. Whether a person may be described as thin or not is of no importance. The donut thwarts all of us on our journey to reaching our personal goal of creating our own healthy and nourished body.
Our bodies are our temples, as we should give them the nourishment craved to be able to achieve our own unique health goals.


No comments:

Post a Comment