Tuesday 3 April 2012

C is for Communication

C is for Communication.
Just like my past few posts, I have so much I could say, but I really can't be writing essays, so I really need to keep it concise and brief.
This, in my opinion, is one of the most important principles to healthy working and also personal relationships. Just because I think this, doesn't mean I have it mastered. Far from it. I think a good amount of us would say the same.
I want to work smoothly with my colleagues. I want strong and positive relationships with everyone in my life. I want to understand what they want from me, and vice versa. I want them to understand me well, my point of view, my opinions and my reasons for my beliefs. I want to be able to share my thoughts and opinions, my ideas and suggestions without fear of being laughed at, dismissed, ignored, rejected, or overlooked. I feel that many of us fail to fully understand all aspects of colleagues, friends and family because we are presumptuous and fail to make the time to dig a little deeper and maybe discover something new and different.
Do you really know what that other person is thinking? Do you know their opinions? Have you taken the time to ask them what they truly think? Would they feel comfortable expressing their opinions? Everyone has an opinion, everyone has ideas, everyone has thoughts. The more open the communication, the stronger the bond. Even if the opinions are different, at least they are not all kept locked up, building up, waiting to explode. Then we may lead to problems.
I can think of many personal and also professional examples of when the problems which are the hardest to tackle are probably the ones that need it the most. They rest inside me, expanding, pushing, yet they are the hardest to release. But when they are released, it feels like helium. Maybe even there is an easy solution to a troublesome problem, maybe not, but at least it is out in the open and progression can be made. I love it when this happens.

2 comments:

  1. I have joined, and quit several groups based on communication. When it's good, the group can be amazing, when the communication is bad, or non-existent, well... Bye...

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know groups existed for communication.. well I suppose you can get a group for anything these days:) Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete