Tuesday 17 April 2012

N is for - Non Profit

N is for Non Profit.

It's a late idea, on a topic which is extremely dear to my heart. Doing something for the sole benefit of someone or something else. No financial gain, incentive, wage, salary, paycheck. None of these. Just because the cause is dear to you, it plays an important role in your life, and you hope that in some small way your actions will make a difference. You are concerned with the welfare of the elderly and want to make their lives as comfortable as possible. You want to help people with disabilities to live life to the fullest. You want to make an effort to keep your city clean and safe. You want to promote healthy living. I'm sure there are more than thousands of different opportunities, different types of causes which would be worthy of support. All unique and precious in their own way.
So why do it? Why put in time and effort for something which we can choose to ignore, something which doesn't necessarily have to affects our lives? Because it warms our hearts to do good. Because it gives us a sense of fulfillment to know that something which we do, something we create, some gesture we offer, will make a positive difference. We have the power to help someone. We have the power to make a change, to make a difference. Be it helping with the smallest and seemingly unimportant task, or heading the most complicated task, we are a cog in a chain. We all contribute. We all make a difference. It is all valued.
I love volunteering. I love being a small part of something big. I love knowing that my efforts are valued, and will benefit someone or something, somewhere. I would invest all of my efforts into the volunteering I love if I were not bound to financial obligations. Money isn't everything, but it unfortunately it plays a crucial role in our lives. Those who have managed to find a career or job which incorporates both is most people's dream. This is my dream too.

1 comment:

  1. I'm actually working to get my writing group a non profit status. it's a long process but it'll be worth it:)

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete